Saturday, May 9, 2009

Game Time!

It has been many years since Marlin and I have allowed the kids to play sports. I think it may be like 6 -7 years. We decided a while ago that we didn't want to be running around and pressuring our children to play sports. We thought we would wait until they showed an interest and than do what we can to make it possible. Well, that time has come. Trey has expressed an interest in playing baseball for the last couple of months. I found him a team that plays off post, in a little community called Black River. There are a total of 4 teams and they will play each other till the end of June. Trey only had 2 practices before the game today.
He was very excited and couldn't wait to get on the field. He actually has a very strong desire to be a pitcher. However, due to the age group (8-12 year old) he was told he probably wouldn't be able to pitch. Coach started Trey on third base and he did awesome. I am telling you he total surprised his dad and me. For him just to get out there and give it a try really made me proud. Especially, since the last time he played ball with a team was when he was 4 or 5 years old. I am not sure what inning it was but I saw Coach take Trey to the side and had him throw some pitches. I thought surely they aren't going to let him pitch......but they did.


Trey getting ready to pitch!

I will admit it brought a tear to my eye. To see my son get a chance to do something that he wanted to do was just plain cool. He looked so happy to be on pitcher mound. He was able to throw some strikes and he only hit one boy (not on purpose and he does feel bad about that). He looked really good standing up there. He has a lot of practice to do but I know if it is something he wants to do he will work at it.

I would have to say the best thing we ever did for our family was to stop all the activities and running around when the kids were younger. They are now at the age that if they really want it they are more focused and are willing to work hard to achieve their goals. I am looking forward to supporting them all in their future endeavors.



No comments: